As more people cook and barbecue at home the makers of Pan-Safe and Spray-Safe, have issued their top ten tips to prevent accidental fires.
FIRESCAPE UK research reveals almost half of UK households (49%) have no fire safety equipment.
FIRESCAPE UK FEATURES ON VIVA VIVA Lifestyle Magazine
Managing Director Paul Jameson, a former chef, who devised the following – top 10 tips to prevent fire while cooking – and what to do if happens – said:
“There is a worrying lack of awareness of cooking fire hazards, and lack of basic safety equipment in our homes or outside if we’re BBQing.
10 Tips –
(1) Make sure your meat or vegetables are dry especially if frozen – this will stop your pan or bbq spitting out oil, avoiding burns and preventing fire.
(2) Never leave a pan or bbq unattended – it can take several minutes to get the pan or coals hot, don’t get distracted or walk away while waiting. Independent firescape UK research revealed two-thirds admit they’ve left cooking unattended.
(3 Never use water to put out a pan fire – oil fires can be the hardest to put out and adding water will cause a major fire. If you have Pan-Safe, use that, if not, use a damp tea towel to smother flames. Again, our research revealed one-in-four people would throw water on a pan fire because it was there first instinct.
(4) Avoid wearing loose sleeves and other clothes that can catch fire from a hob, coals or the pan itself
(5) Clean up wrappers, tea towels, oil bottles and other inflammable items from around your cooker or outside grill as they may spark a fire
(6) Everyone is tight on space in lockdown but don’t be tempted to store food in your oven as it’s easy to forget and put the oven on to warm up, again with the potential to start a fire
(7) Don’t forget to keep your gadgets and appliances safe – many are dusting off appliances, from griddle pans, deep-fat fryers, to bread-makers, with a huge uptake in more adventurous cooking, recreating our favourite take-aways. Make sure they are clean, cords aren’t frayed, and don’t forget the toaster – if you’ve got crumbs in the bottom these can catch fire. Our firescape UK research says over half of us (55%) don’t regularly check appliances and 27% of those, say they never do
(8) Make sure any hot fat or grease cools down before you put it in the rubbish and dilute it with washing up liquid if it’s going down the sink, so you don’t clog up your pipes or set fire to your bin
(9) Regularly clean your oven or bbq, a build-up of fat and grease can start a fire. If a fire starts and you don’t have a Spray-Safe, then keep the oven door closed and call the fire brigade
(10) Stay safe by following our tips to avoid kitchen fires, as half of home fires start there with cooking, and look at investing in fires safety equipment. Only half of Brits say they have fire safety equipment in their kitchen with 28% saying cost puts them off and nearly a quarter (24%) saying they wouldn’t know how to use them, according to firescape UK research.
Firescape UK specialise in easy-to-use products that even the most vulnerable can use, and small budgets afford best.
Made with state-of-the-art technology, they are priced from around £15.
Spray-Safe is the UK’s smallest fire extinguisher, the size of a water bottle that you simply shake and spray to put a blaze out in seconds.
Pan-Safe is a sachet you simply put into the pan to put out an oil fire in three seconds, compared to 25 seconds for a fire blanket. “
Both products are available on amazon – See below.
Hover your Mouse or Finger over an amazon Product Image to show a description. Clicking an amazon Product Image will take you to view the product, plus similar products on amazon (Please Note.Prices are not regularly refreshed.so may differ on amazon website, often in your favour!
Spray Safe –
LIGHT-WEIGHT & EASY TO USE: and can be used at any angle with no reduction in flow-rate or performance.
FOR USE ON ‘ALL’ CLASS OF FIRE: Unlike many conventional fire extinguisher aerosols, Spray-Safe can be used effectively on all classes of fire, as opposed to just one or a select few. This removes the possibility of using the wrong type of extinguisher on a fire, which can result in devastating consequences, serious injury and even death
EFFECTIVE ON SMALL FIRES: In today’s world we are increasingly reliant on electronic devices and peripherals, including the many adaptors and chargers they require. Faulty or damaged electronics can result in a small fire, which if left unnoticed for any length of time can quickly develop into a home destroying and or life-threatening scenario, especially in vulnerable places such as the bedroom or in the car
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Particularly relevant for Barbecues – In a recent environmental report produced by ‘Crop Intellect’, it was stated “The experiment has confirmed that the firescape material is not harmful to plants and has not caused any phytotoxicity at the level applied
HIGHLY VERSATILE: Unlike many such extinguishers Spray-Safe is suitable for use on CLASS A Fires such as wood, paper and textiles, plus also liquid fuel / oil fires
See more product details on amazon.
DESIGNED FOR PAN FIRES – Unlike other fires, cooking oil fires are amongst the most difficult to extinguish using conventional methods due to the extreme heat of the oil. Incorrect use of traditional extinguishing methods can lead to the fire quickly spreading, serious injury and or death
EXTINGUISHES FIRE IN SECONDS – Once deployed Pan-Safe rapidly extinguishes the flames and chemically reacts with the oil, both creating a soap-like substance that seals the surface, and cooling the temperature of the oil below the point required to ignite, thus preventing re-ignition
EASY & SAFE TO USE – Pan-Safe is the quick, safe, easy and efficient way to protect your home and loved ones.
PAS CERTIFIED – Tested and Certified to the highest industry standards, Pan-Safe not only delivers ease of use but peace of mind that Pan-Fires can be quickly and safely extinguished
STORAGE & TRANSPORTATION CONVENIENCE – Unlike a traditional bulky fire blanket for kitchens, Pan-Safe requires no special storage or wall mounting. It can instead be placed conveniently in a drawer or cupboard until required. Pan-Safe’s lightweight portable packaging also enables easy transportation for use at external cooking events.
See more product details on amazon